Sunday, June 01, 2008

Munching on alphonso mangoes in Mumbai

This is very much off-topic, I know, but I’m just home from Mumbai (Bombay), India and have to share this ;-) I visited Mumbai for two weeks, just before the monsoon set in. As it turned out this period coincided with the last part of the alphonso mango season. I had never tasted alphonso mangoes before, but their warm, deep orange-yellow color (almost like an egg yolk), the smooth, firm texture of the fruit flesh (not fibrous at all, reminiscent of an almost ripe avocado), and their sweet, mild, mild, mild bergamot-like taste immediately won me over. I ate alphonso mangoes whenever I could find them and even brought home a dozen ;-)

A box of alphonso mangoes
A box of alphonso mangoes

Alphonso mangoes surrounded by straw
Alphonso mangoes surrounded by straw

Alphonso mangoes close-up
Alphonso mangoes close-up

Alphonso mango ready to eat
Alphonso mango ready to eat

1 comment:

  1. these mangoes were great... my wife and i enjoyed feeding them to each other

    ReplyDelete

All Time Most Popular Posts