Wednesday, February 15, 2006

The power of grafting – VIII

My grafted Lophophora williamsii (SB 854; Starr Co, Tx) is growing its last fruit this season. The fruit looks ripe and fat so I'm hoping for lots of seeds even though the flower was self-pollinated.

Lophophora williamsii - ripe fruit
Lophophora williamsii - ripe fruit

Yesterday I harvested the dried fruits produced by the plants second and third flower – both of these flowers were also self-pollinated (I didn’t have a whole lot of plants flowering last year ;-)

Lophophora williamsii - harvested fruits
Lophophora williamsii - harvested fruits

The fruits are approximately 1 cm (~0.4'') long, only the upper half is containing seeds. The yield from these fruits, each contained 6 seeds, is much better than from the first fruit I harvested.

Lophophora williamsii - seeds
Lophophora williamsii - seeds

If the seeds are viable I hope to come full circle, growing new seedlings in less than two years after the mother plant was sown!

< previous | next >

1 comment:

  1. Wow! that plant is freakin beautiful? i am wondering if you would be at all able to give me any pointers, i am a beginner. please e-mail me at lithiumbarbie@bellsouth.net

    thank you

    ReplyDelete

All Time Most Popular Posts