Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Munching on Lophophora williamsii - II

My cold house grown Lophs have been maimed by some critter eating big, hearty lumps out of them. There are no traces of snails so I expect the culprit to be a grasshopper or bush-cricket trapped in the house.

Maimed Lophophora williamsii (SB 854; Starr Co, Texas)
Maimed Lophophora williamsii (SB 854; Starr Co, Texas)

Lophophora diffusa (JR; Higuerillas, Queretaro) remains
Lophophora diffusa (JR; Higuerillas, Queretaro) remains

The plants above were sown May 1, 2004 and have grown in the cold house since. Some of this year’s Lophophora seedlings were also taken out by the “unwanted guest”.

I’ve wrapped the pots in horticultural fleece and hope this will keep the culprit out in the future.

2 comments:

  1. When I saw those I almost cried. Some bird has been munching on my San Pedro's, so I feel for you. I hope you find the creatonous pest that has commited these atrocities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thsi litle pest you have is a vine weevil. best to get out at night and grab him with the tweezers .they crunch very satisfyingly.sometimes can be found hiding under plants or in topping gravel during the day.also i have grasshoppers jumping around my collection sometimes in summer but they have never eaten a cactus

    ReplyDelete

All Time Most Popular Posts