Monday, July 25, 2005

The power of grafting - II

In less than one and a half years my grafted Lophophora williamsii (SB 854; Starr Co, Tx) has grown from a minute seedling to a mature plant, flowering for the first time. The Lophophora scion is 4.85 cm (~1.9’’) wide and has grown 3 offshoots; the flower is a typical pinkish white with a somewhat darker midstripe, and is 1.8 cm (~0.7’’) wide. None of my other plants are currently blooming so I attempted to self-pollinate the flower.

Flowering Lophophora williamsii graft
Flowering Lophophora williamsii graft

The Echinopsis (Trichocereus) pachanoi stock is striving to get a life of its own – since the previous post I’ve removed two offshoots. Even though it slows the growth of the Lophophora scion down a bit, I let the shoots grow for as long as they don’t intimidate the scion. The removed shoots are rooted and will be used for future grafts.

< previous | next >

4 comments:

  1. Hi,
    i've been reading your blog, its a unique source of reliable information.
    I'm a gorwer from Brasil and I'm facing some trouble with on of my lophs
    its grouth seem to be stuck, I dont know what to do.
    there is something I can do beyond grafting?

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When was your plant last repotted? The stunted growth could indicate a nutrient deficiency that could be remedied by repotting your plant in fresh soil. Are your plants fertilized on a regular basis? Otherwise you might try fertilizing it a bit - a low nitrogen fertilizer like you would use for tomatoes and other vegetables works well (use half or 1/3 the strength of what recommended on the package). If you live in an area with highly alkaline water you might be interested in reading the articles by Malcolm Burleigh and Elton Roberts, describing how the pH of your water affects the well being of your plants. You can find a copy of their article "Cactus and Alkalinity" here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This cactus was a gift from a friend, another grower.he sent the cactus and the potting soil mix that he uses in his cactus.It was a year ago.I use on my cactus a fertilizer called "bone powder"(I cant found anything better to describe and I dont know how it is called on your country).It is a great source of nutrients like calcium and phosphorus.To provide potassium I use wood ashes, I dont like using chemicals on my plants.
    the water where I live has a Ph of ~ 6,2 - 6,6, but now I started to collect rain water to water my plants,it is a little more acid

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems like your plant is being taken very good care of. If you only got it a year ago and the plant in general looks healthy, I would give it some time and see what happens. You are in Brazil and in the midst of summer now. What are your day- and nighttime high temperatures? When temperatures are either too hot or too cold, a cactus will often simply go dormant.

    ReplyDelete

All Time Most Popular Posts